Monday, August 10, 2009

The Life of a Single Girl Living in NYC......BUGS

One of the reasons I started my blog was to catalog my experiences here. Yes, mostly about interior design, but also to give examples of the random happenings that occur daily. This is one of those postings. Not one aspect of it is design related, but it will be a memory permanently stamped in my brain, forever.......While happening, we were not amused. But as the half-hour long event continued, we made light of the situation with sarcasm and laughter, mixed in with shrieks of horror.....

So I am laying in my bed, completely engrossed in the "Bella/ Edward" saga of Breaking Dawn, but starting to doze off, as this is my 24th day working strait. Out of the corner of my eye, I see something dark moving down my wall. Am I that tired I am seeing things? Was it my hair covering my eye? No.......... it was a 2" long cockroach moving down the wall towards the ground, where it would surely find a million places to hide in this tiny apartment filled with stuff.

What should I do? How will I get rid of it? I can't hit it, because my biggest fear is that it will jump on me and start to bite me and then I would probably die. But if I let it get to the floor, I won't be able to find it, and therefore will never be able to sleep..... again. So I did what any normal female does, and jump out of my covers, stand up on my bed in my underwear in front of two open windows and scream!!!!!!!!!!! Yelling for help. Were my roommates home? Who would help me? Panic sets in. The sweat starts to pour out of my pores, and I can feel the tears coming just as I hear my roommates coming to my rescue. At this point, the enormous bug had scurried off under my dresser, where Chloe (my cat,) had taken guard.

Liz walks in, ready to fight the beast with her American Flag Doc Martins, but we couldn't see it anymore. We were afraid it had gone into my closet. All I could think about was how I was going to get any sleep. WE HAD TO FIND IT! Thankfully, my roommates were as enthusiastic about that notion as I was. So, Megan laid on the ground with my desk lamp and started looking for it..... Ah Ha! It was posted on the leg of my dresser. At this point, and I am still in my underwear, we are prepared for war. What was the worst that could happen? It could go under my bed? No way.... not with the weaponry of a Doc Martin. As we pulled out the dresser, I backed up ready to jump on the bed again, Liz slammed her boot against the dresser leg, Megan screamed "NO," I started jumping up and down, saw it scurry from under the dresser, and Liz slammed the boot on the floor again. Megan is on my bed now as all mayhem has broken loose, and we are screaming as we realize the horror that now must take place. We have to go under my bed..... NOOOOOOOOO!!

I immediately yank all the bedding off for fear that bug will somehow find his way into my bed linens and hide there, forever, or at least until I wake up in the middle of the night with it on my face. My things are flying everywhere. Megan and I lift the mattresses and leave Liz to sift through my things, mainly boxes and bags, to see where it could be. Why we allowed the girl who failed twice at killing it to keep trying? I think because neither Megan nor I wanted the job. But it would have made sense to give the job to someone else, because as we lift another box, Liz yells, "it's right here," makes another two attempts and it is gone under the radiator..... ugh..... the mattresses came slamming down.

How are we going to get rid of this escape artist? Megan yells, "Hairspray!" I grabbed my bottle and we sprayed. It wriggled and escaped a bit longer, but we were on his tail, and hairspray combined with Windex is a death trap. He was squirming so much, we actually did get to use the Doc Martin, for final execution, but it was meant to put the guy out of his misery.

I laugh thinking about what my neighbors thought, if any of them saw or heard our behavior. It definitely would have been a show! Three crazy girls running, screaming, and jumping on the bed, while half dressed...... classic!

Besides the fact that I still feel like bugs are crawling on me, I think it is safe to say that I can go to sleep now. At least until I see the next big thing!
Cheers!
The Designista

No comments: